Monthly Folding Challenge - March 2009

Friendly design and folding competitions.
penselen

Post by penselen »

Thanks for looking and the critique, Hank.

One of the problems I've encountered in my first year of folding is having no 'mileage'. I'm so enamored with the next model that I've yet to really fold a model twice, and I probably haven't taken in all I can from each designer that I've tried. So I think you're right on the money. Now all I need is more time in the day!

I appreciate your time and comments.
InsomniacFolder

Post by InsomniacFolder »

adams chen wrote:I join with the simple model!
Nun 1.0
I really like this, even though it doesn't look much like nuns I know.

It's the tiniest styling that makes me love it - the slight outward curvature and separation at the bottom of the robe, it makes it live for me.

I liked the hulking form of the polar bear too, it looks like it's "doing" something, and not just a sterile recreation of the form. Reminds me in that sense of Michael G. LaFosse's "Wilbur" piglet.
"Had we but world enough and time..."
Cupcake
Buddha

Post by Cupcake »

I've folded a Spectacled Bear, and killed two birds (challenges) with one stone.
Ryan MacDonell
My Designs
TheScarletTwizby

Post by TheScarletTwizby »

This one is still a work in progress, but I think that its okay.

origami representation of the pokemon character Darkrai.

I am trying to, once I get some bigger and better paper, add the small spikes on its arms, and make the shoulder-things longer, as well as to get the general shape better overall (thinner arms, more recognizable head, etc. At the moment, all I have is 25x25 cm kami)
Sara

My favourites thus far

Post by Sara »

InsomniacFolder wrote: It's the tiniest styling that makes me love it - the slight outward curvature and separation at the bottom of the robe, it makes it live for me.
I totally agree. I'm absolutely loving the nun, especially because of that part of the model. I also like that the nun seems to be holding an open bible in her hands.
Strangely, I find that the model radiates a lot of darkness, it's quite extraordinary. Due to the head area having no white band it reminds me somewhat of death's cape, or of some evil character. I think that's what makes it such an intense model for me. The mix of dark and purity.

My personal favourites so far are the nun (simple?), The African Fish Eagle (intermediate?), and Steller's Sea Eagle (complex?). Any chance there will be diagrams or crease patterns or anything of the sort?

-- Sara
mikiller

Post by mikiller »

Original wet folding figures

origami-brasil

Post by origami-brasil »

mikiller:

This model is just perfection! It can captures the essence of origami... its aesthetics is awesome! Congratulations, the best in my opinion.
Diego da Silva. A Brazilian Origamist.
My Flickr: http://www.flickr.com/photos/origamis
My Blog: http://origami-brasil.blogspot.com
Daydreamer

Post by Daydreamer »

Rorschach Inkblot Test from a 15cm square of Kami.

So... What do you see?

Instructions:

1. Start with a blank sheet of paper :roll:
2. Add some colour on one side.
3. While colour is still wet fold in half and press real hard.
4. Open again and your Rorschach inkblot test is done.
So long and keep folding ^_^
Gerwin
Morgan

Post by Morgan »

cupcake: i like your bear, looks very uhmm beefy :)

also mikiller very great work! i love the simplicity and a splash of color.....its like the hair just absolutly "pops"
TheScarletTwizby

Post by TheScarletTwizby »

Sara wrote: Any chance there will be diagrams or crease patterns or anything of the sort?
I don't know if you meant for all the models or for just those you mentioned, but here is a partial crease pattern for my model.

I apologize for the poor quality- I have just started using Inkscape to draw cps, and I am still rather bad at it.

To fold the model, take the original square and divide each of the edges into halves.

Then turn the paper white-side up and fold a diagonal.

Take the corner that you just folded across and fold it back, so that the intersections (labeled A and B) of the edges and the first creases you made lie along the diagonal.

Fold the other side behind in the same way, and then squash the back.

After doing all that, fold the crease patern shown above on both halves of the resulting white square, with the top right corner of the pattern at the top right corner of the model. The rest is just shaping the flaps mostly, after you turn the bit that ends up being the hair inside out.
origamimasterjared
Buddha

Post by origamimasterjared »

Daydreamer, that's WAY COOL.
Morgan

Post by Morgan »

knwo what i see in that picture? a crazy dude laughing so hard and tossing spittle out everywhere :D~~~
Daydreamer

Post by Daydreamer »

Some "Rorschach-Action" :D

<embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/4mHSP8xxmfs&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed>

Video also on my flickr-account but I didn't manage to embed the flickr-video here... anyone have experience with that?
http://www.flickr.com/photos/scarygami/3363490625/
So long and keep folding ^_^
Gerwin
Ragnorax

Post by Ragnorax »

wow great job daydreamer! love the video and what an entertaining and clever model... :P
spiritofcat

Post by spiritofcat »

That's awesome, Daydreamer!
So very clever.