Hardest crease pattern

General discussion about Origami, Papers, Diagramming, ...
steyen

Post by steyen »

anermak, may i know who is the creator of the bug in the picture you posted? thanks!
Daydreamer

Post by Daydreamer »

The model is by Horiguchi Naoto.

You can find pictures and creasepatterns here and a blog here.
So long and keep folding ^_^
Gerwin
ori-gauthier

Post by ori-gauthier »

Brian Chan's mantis shrimp is very hard!
tyiscrazy

Post by tyiscrazy »

i think the dragon thing is harder because it not only has a million scales but seems to be 3d wile the bugish thing is just a flat base with tiles
legionzilla
Forum Sensei

Post by legionzilla »

The dragon thingy you are referring to is the Ryujin 3.5. As been earlier discussed, looks doesn't matter. However, the Ryujin is still one of the toughest patterns ever.
topsu

Post by topsu »

Also, the ryu zin CP does lie flat (It is shaped to be 3D, of course)
insaneorigami
Forum Sensei

Post by insaneorigami »

tyiscrazy wrote:i think the dragon thing is harder because it not only has a million scales but seems to be 3d wile the bugish thing is just a flat base with tiles
The complexity of the scales, as mentioned, is not that great. Folding 1800 scales is no more complex than folding 100. It would take alot longer, but wouldn't be any more complex. In fact, the scales are one of the simplest factors of 3.5. The real complexity of the model lies in two main areas: the toes, and the neck. it is a great challange to design a model so that the pleats in the body turn into bird-base-centered toes. the scales on the legs are also pretty difficult to collapse, but are not that complex.

So really, just because the "dragon thing" has more scales does NOT mean that it is more complex. The "Bugish thing" is more complex (in my opinion) because of the complex transitions in it.
newbpcpfolder

Post by newbpcpfolder »

Joe the white wrote:I think the Ryu-Jin is probably the hardest to an extent. With the scales and all. They're formed with cross-pleats like Lang's Koi I believe, while the body is box pleated.

The insect is interesting. The symetrical CP makes it easier, but it has a graft like Koh's Ankylosaur, which can be tedious as well.
i find no graft in there.they are used to make those stand-outs......
newbpcpfolder

Post by newbpcpfolder »

tyiscrazy wrote:i think the dragon thing is harder because it not only has a million scales but seems to be 3d wile the bugish thing is just a flat base with tiles
the "bugish"thing is actually a LOT harded than Ryuzin. Ryuzin is easy and box-pleated, but very time-consuming, so that's why it's "hard".
the bugish thing is hell.just for you to know.it isn't just a flat base with tiles.it's box pleating, combining some other odd angles to make all those spikes.
origamimasterjared
Buddha

Post by origamimasterjared »

It's a pattern graft, tsk.

And have you folded either? What makes you think the Ryu-zin is easy? Because you've heard it is from some people?
merman

Post by merman »

I have never tried Ryu-Zin, but how much does the paper need to be to make it work? Is 70x70 cm doable?
newbpcpfolder

Post by newbpcpfolder »

origamimasterjared wrote:It's a pattern graft, tsk.

And have you folded either? What makes you think the Ryu-zin is easy? Because you've heard it is from some people?

"Easy" means from a technical(structural) standpoint of view. Now don't ask me what that mans, I just mean that it looks like that. But Ryu 2.1 is definitely simpler than Ryu 3.5. I've looked at the official CP of 3.5, too. 5OSME photos.
Hmm...........pattern graft.......sounds interesting..........
Is it the chapter that Lang discusses in the ODS?
A doubt. Does Nicolas Gajardo's Rafael(looks more like Michaelangelo to me, used to watch the cartoon series) use pattern grafting too? The shell, which is fully 3d and closed.
But I don't understand the structure of the scales in Ryu 2.1, 3.1 and 3.5. I know that above part, and about below, I'm clueless. It does mostly look like boxpleating, with some 22.5 in parts like the head, toes, etc.
The head is different that 2.1, too. Some parts are not flat-foldable in that CP. The far left part, for example.
Kafar
Forum Sensei

Post by Kafar »

The head is different that 2.1, too. Some parts are not flat-foldable in that CP. The far left part, for example.
The whole cp is flat foldable, it just needs some more creases
newbpcpfolder

Post by newbpcpfolder »

Kafar wrote:
The whole cp is flat foldable, it just needs some more creases
I'm speaking about the unofficial CP on flickr.
yeah, it needs 3 more creases.
[PHOENIX]

Re: Hardest crease pattern

Post by [PHOENIX] »

Ok I tried making both and they were both pretty hard but the ryujin was hardest... The ryujin requires VERY thin and big paper, otherwise the layers become too thick to hide.